Introduction of Nursing Discipline
Nursing discipline in West China School of Nursing has set up a complete education system covering bachelor’s degree, master’s degree and doctoral degree. In 2009, it was approved as the characteristic specialty by Chinese Ministry of Education. In 2011, it became one of the authorized doctorate points of the first level discipline of nursing science; and in 2012 it became the first nursing post-doctoral research center. In 2012, it ranked the second in first level discipline evaluation among National Universities of Chinese Ministry of Education.
The teaching resources are abundant. It consists of 9 teaching and research groups and shares abundant books and electronic data resources with Sichuan University and West China Hospital. It has a National Experimental Teaching Center of Clinical Skills and professional nursing skills and practice bases, as well as a number of training centers. Meanwhile, it has established several nursing laboratories including four tertiary hospitals affiliated to the National Health and Family Planning Commission and two national community healthcare centers.
There are more than 150 full-time and part-time teachers, including 15 professors and 46 associate professors, as well as 3 doctor supervisors and 18 master supervisors. Many teachers are leaders in academic organizations such as Degree Committee of the State Council, Chinese Nursing Association, National Institute of higher nursing education and Nursing Association of Sichuan Province.
Focusing on the combination of social sciences and humanities spirit, nursing theory and clinical practice, it aims to develop a relatively independent and characteristic nursing higher education system integrating with other medical disciplines. The nursing major has made some outstanding achievements in nursing researches. In the past five years, the faculty have obtained 140 research programs with funds over 10 million RMB, published more than 3000 research papers and 100 textbooks, and applied for 96 patents. In addition, 18 research achievements have been rewarded by ministerial and provincial government.
I. Program Goals
This program aims to cultivate professional nursing students who can meet the requirements of healthcare development in China, engage in clinic nursing practice in all kinds of healthcare institutions, and Master the characteristics of bracing high humanistic quality, complying with professional morality, and having the potential to be an expert on nursing. Students are required to master the fundamental knowledge, theory and skills of Nursing Science, Basic Medicine, and Humanities & Social Sciences. They will also be educated to have global vision, teamwork spirits, innovative awareness, and sense of social responsibility.
II. Program requirements
Students will learn the fundamental knowledge, theory and skills of Nursing Science. Besides, fundamental theoretical knowledge of relevant Humanities & Social Sciences and Basic Medicine are also included in the curricula. This program develops the students' competency to deliver holistic nursing and carry out community healthcare service. Graduates should be equipped with knowledge, competence and quality as follows
1. Master the fundamental knowledge, theory and skills of Nursing Science;
2. Master the fundamental theory and knowledge of relevant Basic Medicine and Humanities & Social Sciences;
3. Master the principles of providing nursing care to patients with acute, chronic or critical diseases and have the competency to deliver holistic nursing by applying nursing process;
4. Have the competency to carry out community healthcare service; 5. Have the skills of nursing management, education, research and application of scientific study results;
6. Have a certain English capability; can read professional English books and journals;
7. Have high humanistic quality, career morality, and professional responsibility
8. Have global vision, innovative awareness, and multidisciplinary teamwork spirits
9. Have the abilities of self-developing, self-discovering, problem analyzing and solving.
III. Core curriculum:
Fundamentals of Nursing, Health Assessment, Maternal-child Nursing, Pediatric Nursing, Medical-surgical Nursing, Geriatric Nursing, Community Nursing, Emergency and Critical Care Nursing, Psychiatric Nursing& Nursing Psychology, Nursing Management, Nursing Education, Nursing Research, etc.
IV. Program duration
Bachelor program: 5 years.
Education duration: 3~6 years.
V. Basic credits required for graduating
VI. Degree granted
B.S (Bachelor of Science).
I. Program aims
This Program aims to cultivate master nursing students with advanced talent, international perspective and potential who are adapting to the development of social and health protection, having both ability and political integrity, mastering deep knowledge of nursing theory, systematic knowledge of science and advanced professional knowledge, having the ability of discovering independently, analyzing comprehensively and solving problems scientifically, being able to engage in nursing practice and science studies at all level of medical institutions.
II. Program requirements
Master of Nursing (Professional degree)：
1. Master the basic principles of Marxism and the theoretical system of socialism with Chinese characteristics, have good political caliber and professional integrity;
2. Master solid basic theory and systematic professional knowledge and skills, have strong practical ability of clinical nursing, community nursing, nursing education and nursing management;
3. Have strong abilities of scientifically thinking and discovering, analyzing and solving problem, be able to solve common practical problems in the field of nursing.
4. Have the abilities of doing scientific research and be able to complete the degree thesis with application value and pass the defense combining clinical nursing, community nursing, nursing education and nursing management;
5. Master a foreign language, skilled in reading the foreign literature and in writing.
Master of Nursing (Academic degree)
1. Master the basic theory, professional knowledge and skills of nursing;
2. Master the related knowledge of nursing theory, statistics, epidemiology and evidence-based nursing;
3. Have strong abilities of doing nursing research and can do researches independently;
4. Have the abilities of nursing management and education;
5. With good English skills, be able to read, write and translate professional English literature and skilled in oral academic communication;
6. Have good humanistic quality, professional integrity and professional responsibility;
7. Have international vision, innovative spirit and a sense of multidisciplinary team work.
III. Core curriculum
Master of Nursing (Professional degree): Clinical epidemiology and biostatistics, Nursing , Professional Foreign Language, Nursing Theories, Advanced Nursing, Practice, Evidence-based medicine, Prevention and treatment of infectious diseases, Qualitative Research in Nursing, Health Education Theory and Program Design, Human Basic Life Function Monitoring and Modulation, Nutrition and Diseases, Medical and health laws / regulations and doctor-patient communication, Frontiers of Modern Hospital Management, Advanced Health Economic, Advanced Nursing Practice.
Master of Nursing (Academic degree): Statistics in Health Sciences, Advanced nursing practice, Nursing, Nursing English, Qualitative Research in Nursing, clinical epidemiology, Evidence-based medicine, Information Retrieval and Utilization Medical, Multivariate Data Analysis, Categorical Data Analysis, Quantitative analysis in health policy and management, Survival Data Analysis, Nursing Theories, Clinical Pharmacology, The advanced lecture of Current research progresses in molecular &cellular physiopathogenesis, Human Basic Life Function Monitoring and Modulation, Disaster Nursing, Frontiers of Modern Hospital Management, health education theory and program design, Basis of Oncology, Rational usage of Medication, Nutrition for women.
IV. CBasic credits required for graduating
Master of nursing (Academic degree): 34
Master of nursing (Professional degree): 32
V. Program duration
Master Program: 3 years Education Duration: 3-4 years
VI. Degree granted
Master of nursing (Academic degree)
Master of nursing (Professional degree)
I. Program goals: Program core subjects
In order to meet the demands of healthcare service and social development, we adopt the frontier philosophy, theory and technology to cultivate high level nursing professionals who have good academic morality, solid and broad basic theory, systematic and deep professional knowledge, and the ability of international academic communications. They can independently undertake tasks of nursing research, nursing teaching and advanced clinical practice.
II. Program requirements
Doctoral students will learn the frontier theory, professional knowledge, advanced practice and research skills of nursing. They will be able to independently carry out innovative nursing research, undertake nursing teaching tasks and implement advanced nursing practice.
Graduates should acquire the knowledge, capacity and quality of the following aspects：
1. Master the professional knowledge, the frontier theory and the specialized skills of nursing.
2. Master the related scientific research skills such as statistics, epidemiology, evidence-based nursing, etc.
3. Master the principles and methods of advanced nursing practice; have the ability to carry out advanced nursing practice for clients and guide junior nurses how to perform advanced nursing practice.
4. Master the abilities to carry out innovative nursing research.
5. Master the abilities of nursing management and education.
6. Master proficient English skills to read, write, translate literatures, and communicate for academic exchange.
7. Master a good sense of humanistic quality, professional morality and responsibility.
8. Master the international vision, the spirit of innovation and the cooperation consciousness of multidisciplinary team.
9. Master the abilities to develop themselves, broaden the scope of nursing profession and promote the progress of the subject.
III. Core curriculum:
--Doctor Degree (total credits ≥21 credits): nursing development, nursing professional English, academic English writing, English listening and speaking, advanced qualitative research, multivariate statistical analysis, classified statistical data analysis, advanced evidence-based nursing, nursing philosophy and theoretical construction, and advanced qualitative research.
--Successive Postgraduate and Doctoral Program (total credits ≥40 credits): medical statistics, advanced nursing practice theory and method, nursing progress, nursing professional English, academic English writing, English listening and speaking, advanced qualitative research, multivariate statistical analysis, statistical data analysis, advanced evidence-based nursing, nursing philosophy and theory construction, high quality study.
IV. Program duration
Doctoral Program: 3 years
Education Duration: 3-6 years
Successive Postgraduate and Doctoral Program: 5 years
Education Duration: 5-8 years
V. Degree granted:
Doctor of nursing
PreviousOptometry and Visual Science