Laboratory Science and Medical Technology
Laboratory Science and Medical Technology Program
The Laboratory Science and Medical Technology Program is one of the major disciplines of the Division of Allied Health Professions, one of the five divisions of West China School of Medicine, Sichuan University. The program is provided by the Department of Laboratory Medicine. The goal of the program is to help young people who are interested in life science, biochemistry, clinical laboratory science, etc. to learn the basic theoretical knowledge of basic medicine, clinical medicine, medical laboratory technology and so on to enable them to work in clinical laboratories, research institutions, hospitals, enterprises for medical equipment and reagent development and sales, medical schools, etc. At the same time the students will have the ability to communicate with clinical staff and carry out medical research. We require students to have basic clinical, scientific, technical and management skills through learning. They should master the knowledge of the discipline, understand it's development and have laboratory-clinical consultation and scientific research ability. They should have good professional ethics and comprehensive quality. It is our goal to contribute to the administrative, research, clinical, educational and support functions of other basic science and clinical departments within the School of Medicine.
Our students mainly learn basic medicine, clinical medicine, medical laboratory and other basic theory and clinical practice skills. They get trained in comprehensive medical examination practice skills system. Upon graduation, the student will obtain the following knowledge and capability:
1. Good political thought, moral character and patriotism.
2. Basic ability of mathematical statistics, computer application, English communication and professional English reading.
3. Theoretical knowledge and practical skills in basic medicine and clinical medicine.
4. The theoretical knowledge and practical skills in Clinical Laboratory Fundamental and Hematology, Clinical Biochemistry, Clinical Immunology, Clinical Microbiology, Transfusion Medicine and Molecular Diagnostics.
5. Know about the development of the technology of medical laboratory science, national health work and clinical laboratory management related guidelines, policies and regulations.
6. Basic scientific research methods of literature search, data access, research design, implementation, and summary.
The key courses of the program include Clinical Biochemistry, Clinical Immunology, Clinical Microbiology, Clinical Hematology, Clinical Laboratory Fundamentals, Transfusion medicine, and Molecular Diagnostics.
The duration of the study is three to six years, generally 4 years of full time study and a total credit of 175 is required for obtaining a Bachelor of Science degree in clinical laboratory technology.